Re: Hide email addresses from spam bots

tedd wrote:

> There are only two ways for a spambot to get your email address from
> a web site: A) to read it via a screen reader, which is exceedingly
> slow. I may be wrong, but I doubt that any serious harvester would
> consider this method; B) to read it via text contained within your
> web site.

C) Run it through a regular HTML parser.

Argle. http://www.w3.org/TR/turingtest/

The requested URL /www.xn--ovg.com/captcha was not found on this server.

> B) With the second, you need to disguise your email address such that
> spambots don't understand it.
>
> One way is to use Enkoder (it's javascript):
> http://automaticlabs.com/enkoderform/

Which requires the end user to have JavaScript turned on, and assumes that
bots can't parse JavaScript (they can, maybe not all, but certainly some).

> Using javascript isn't bad -- at last count less than 9 percent of
> surfers don't have javascript.

There is no way to reliably gather such statistics.

> Another way is to use PHP, but it is involved.

PHP won't provide you with a way to display an email address to a human but
not to a spambot.

> I direct you to "PHP Cookbook"  O'Reilly by Sklar page 188.

I'm not going to buy a book so I can explain why the technique won't work.

--
David Dorward       <http://blog.dorward.me.uk/>   <http://dorward.me.uk/>
                     Home is where the ~/.bashrc is