Re: SQL in XML [was PHP and DBase...]

On Tue, January 31, 2006 1:08 pm, David BERCOT wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I'd like to connect to DBase files (.dbf) in order to do SQL
>> requests.
>> > Do you know if it is possible ?
>> > If yes, do you have an example ?
>> > I'm working on Debian with PHP5.
>> >
>> > Thank you very much.
>> >
>> > David.
>> Blind?
>>
>> http://de.php.net/dbase
>
> OK. I should have made such a search ;-)
> So, it is possible... I'll try...
>
> But, finally, I wonder if I shouldn't use XML files instead ?
> Is it possible, directly, to make a SQL request on a XML file ?
>
> In fact, I was looking for a file format which would be modifing on
> Windows and on Linux. So, I thought about dbf. But now...

MySQL and PostgreSQL both work on Windows (and Linux, duh).

If you're starting a NEW database project, DBase is the LAST thing I'd
choose, unless there's some over-riding concern you've not yet
mentioned.

Actually, DBase doesn't even seem to use SQL, so I suppose your
question could have been:  "Is there any way to tie standard SQL into
DBase, instead of using the normal PHP DBase extension?"...

I'm pretty sure both PostgreSQL and MySQL allow you to input/output
data as XML.

For sure, MySQL has a new Engine type where you can act upon a CSV
file using SQL which is the closest match to what you seem to be
aiming towards...

Though I still suspect your aim is bad, tell you the truth...

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm