Re[2]: Validating Radio Buttons in two directions

Tuesday, January 17, 2006, 11:33:18 PM, HiFi Tubes wrote:
> Thanks to all of you who responded.  Yes, I am doing the grid --basically
> 100 radio buttons, that is ten comments that must be ranked from 1 to 10.

Ugh.  If you absolutely can't use Javascript, here's an idea:
Present this question by itself as two lists: on top an unordered list of
options, on bottom an ordered list (initially empty).  Each item will have a
set of links (icons maybe) to place this item next (if in the top list)
or move up/down or remove the item (if in the ordered list).  The user
would click the links to move around the choices until he/she is ready to
submit that question:

add items: _eggs_ , _milk_

1 candy _remove_
2
3

----------

1 candy _remove_      _down_
2 eggs  _remove_ _up_ _down_
3 milk  _remove_ _up_

The nice thing is, each page you generate would be a valid response so you,
nor the user, has to worry about, eg. submitting two items in 3rd place.
It would also be /much/ simpler for the user to rearrange items since
he/she no longer has the burden of renumbering each choice.

You could potentially add Javascript onto this setup so that the movement
would be updated purely on the page or with only a minimal XMLHTTPRequest
call.

Another idea: just require Javascript and save yourself reinventing the
wheel. http://www.phpsurveyor.org/index.php is a mature survey system with
ranking question types and nice data export options.

Steve
--
http://mrclay.org/