Re: Parsing a large file

> On Fri, January 13, 2006 3:33 pm, Jay Paulson wrote:
>> $buf = "";
>
> Probably better to initialize it to an empty array();...

Yep right.

>> while (!feof($fhandle)) {
>>     $buf[] = fgets($fhandle);
>
> ... since you are going to initialize it to an array here anyway.
>
>>     if ($i++ % 10 == 0) {
>
> Buffering 10 lines of text in PHP is probably not going to make a
> significant difference...

This is true.  It's what I have written to start with.  Basically I'm just
trying to make sure that I'm not hogging system memory with a huge file b/c
there are other apps running at the same time that need system resources as
well.  That's the main reason why I'm using a buffer to read the file in and
parse it a little at a time.  By all means test it out on your hardware and
see what that buffer needs to be.