Re: Greetings

Gabor Hojtsy wrote:

> Dear Pop Mihai Sergiu,
>
> By sending this email you (again) posted to a public mailing list which
> is archived at multiple places, of which really few are under our
> control. There would be no point in removing your message from our
> archives, as it is also posted to an unknown number of other archives
> around the internet.
>
> Also there is no point in attaching a signature below your message which
> prohibits the review of the contents, as the signature is only read
> after the message is alread read.

It should also be noted that simply saying something is "confidential" is
not enough. The sender has to exercise a level of care to prevent "private
and confidential" information and communications from becoming public.
Obviously posting any such information to a fundamentally public forum
negates any such expectations. It is like screaming, at the top of your
lungs, in a public venue, a secret. You would not have any reasonable
expectation of privacy even if you screamed "don't tell anyone."

However, his rant does present a real issue. Forcing people to use "real"
email addresses exposes them to SPAM and abuse. I would suggest, if
possible and resources permit, that some sort of aliasing/registration
system be deployed where every post is may by "anonABCDEFGH@xxxxxxx" and
every "ABCDEFGH" is a registered user who's email address is known.