Re: input validation?

tg-php@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I disagree...  PHP frequently involves interacting with or outright using alternative technologies to accomplish your goal.  This includes HTML, XML, databases, etc.  To effectively use PHP you need to understand your options and the pros/cons in using the other technologies.

PHP isn't a total solution for most situations.  Suggesting that all problems be solved with PHP just because it's a PHP mailing list is shortsighted and I believe *that* can do more harm for novice developers than not suggesting alteratives.

Ok, you're clearly missing my point and while I don't want this to degrade into the usual pissing contest I do feel I need to clarify what I was saying.

I completely agree that in this case Javascript should be used to provide the user with feedback as to how close to the limit they are. However, in your post you described the solution as either Javascript *or* PHP when the best solution is both. What I was pointing out is that while Javascript is a better solution from a usability point of view, not doing the validation with PHP is dangerous regardless of whether the length is validated using Javascript or not.

I certainly don't believe that PHP is the "total solution for most situations", but when it comes to input validation you *need* to do validation on the server-side regardless of what validation you do with Javascript since you have no control over whether the Javascript gets executed.

Off to get more coffee ;)

-Stut