Re: How to: Search web for specific file type?

On Jan 5, 2006, at 3:49 AM, Jochem Maas wrote:
good a place as any:
http://www.acmqueue.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=143

Hi! Thanks for link, visiting now.  :)

I might suggest that you first google for 'how to write a search engine'; then do a lot of reading;

Have done... a ton of hits for website search tools... but I have yet to filter the results down to WWW search engine scripts/tutorials...

So far I have had only a few possible options: Google API and/or Microformat tags.

then curse yourself for having undertaken such a difficult task;

Lol! Yep. I realized that after I posted my question to the list. Hehe! Man, I wish I were a better programmer!

then try to formulate the criteria/limitations/requirements of yourt search engine as preciesly as possible ...

Great advice, I really appreciate the tip.  :)

and when you have a definite idea about what you want to achieve come back by all means and ask questions - you never we might even be able to help (assuming php is the technology tyou choose to implement your search engine
in)!

And that I will... but I think that I will leave my idea for a later date... if/when I ever get good enough to write such a program, or when I discover a script that will allow me to implement my "file-specific search engine"

ps - creating something decent that resembles a search engine is not easy IMHO.
good luck

I hear that. Man, I hate my limitations. Oh well, back to watching season 2 of the Sopranos! ;)

Thanks for the response...

Cheers,
Micky