Re: Which is faster, a MySQL access, or a set of PHPvariables?

Dave M G wrote:
	Thank you for the advice.
	The point was raised, and it's a good one, that if I'm getting content
from the database for most pages, then attaining the necessary
translations probably won't make a difference.
	And of course, it is true that at my current levels of hits, the server
load is negligible. But, of course, one always hopes that site
popularity will increase and justify the efforts of making it efficient.
	I think I am going to database the translations for now, and then later
if need be, I will go with the suggestions of creating a list of
variables from the database once a day with a cron job.

	I appreciate all the help people have given to let me understand the
issue.

--
Dave M G

If you are that concerned, I'd suggest making a test script with both approaches and measure the execution times.

The performance difference may depend on on the DB server performance. On a previous shared webhost, I found the mySQL server was incredibly slow, so simple files were much faster.