AT / php / apache question

Dear PHP users,

I am trying to write a php script that allows me to schedule jobs using the at deamon (unix) for execution in the arbitrary future. I have everything working except that the default login shell for apache (nologin)
means that the at deamon fails to execute the command.

If I run the at command as another (not apache) user or change the apache login script to bash then
everything works fine.

I understand the nologin shell is a security feature for the apache account so i am reluctant to change it. AT is supposed to use the shell defined by the SHELL environment variable at the time of job submission but this does not appear to work in this case. I have tried wrapping the command in a setuid script to use another user id to side step this but I think
scripts are prevented from using setuid.
I could sidestep this by making a setuid executable but this seems like a desperate measure and that there should be a more sensible way of achieving this safely.

So does anyone have any suggestions? since "at" is a common word looking for solutions on the web
is rather difficult...

Cheers,

SA