Re: Re: Can the URL be controlled for more user-friendly readability? [SOLVED]

On Mon, Dec 26, 2005 at 09:26:38PM +0900, Dave M G wrote:

> 	Thank you for the suggestions. Altering the rules of the Apache server
> seems to suggest the potential to have the effect I am after. I know
> nothing about configuring Apache, but I will try to learn.
> 	If my discovery process brings me back to PHP issues, then I will
> return here with more questions.
> 	I appreciate you taking the time to offer advice.

Another method that wasn't mentioned, which helps take the logic
needed to parse parameters in the more 'user-friendly' way is to
set up apache to treat a file as a directory so you could have:

  http://domain.com/user/first.last.html

The 'user' is actually a file that is a php script that reads data
from $_SERVER['PATH_INFO'] and parses it as needed.

You just need to setup apache using:

  <Files user>
    SetHandler application/x-httpd-php
  </Files>

and make a php script called user like:

  <?php
    var_dump($_SERVER['PATH_INFO'])'
  ?>

I prefer this method cause it removes any sort of programming logic
from apache, so if I decide, that well, i want to allow just
lastname.html, i only have one place to worry about the logic.

Curt.
--
cat .signature: No such file or directory