Sessions...

Hi

I'm having some trouble with sessions and was wondering if anyone could give
me some insight

Background:

We have experienced some difficulties previously with sessions which were
fixed(ish) by using ini_set("session.save_handler", "files"); and manually
dropping a cookie with the propagated session ID in it

Without the implicit cookie (and subsequent ID checking) the session
wouldn't fix and changing page would make it overwrite its own data with
NULL (as if the session had been restarted)

Current:

I've decided to rock the boat and start using a custom handler (we need to
check who's online etc; the standard stuff) utilising our MySQL (v3.28) DB

Seeing that I'm not great with sessions (my bad, I haven't studied enough),
I used some code (pretty much verbatim) from the Zend site that sets up a
sessions class.
http://www.zend.com/zend/spotlight/code-gallery-wade8.php?article=code-galle
ry-wade8 << that's where the tutorial lives

Using the custom handler the sessions are failing to fixate again, even if I
drop a cookie with the propagated session ID and subsequently reuse it

I used my login script to attempt to track the problem and discovered that
the script that performs the login successfully writes to the database but
when it returns to the main page the session is present in the database but
the session value field is, once again, empty

Er, help. Please. I'm running out of hair to tear out :-)

TIA and apologies if this has already been answered or this is a halfwitted
question

Dan