RE: load balancer question

I've had really good experiences with load balancing a large php app
using
windows 2003 NLB (network load balancing)  (really, windows, I'm not
kidding :)).

It's available in 2003 server, you just have to turn it on and
configure.
If you're using windows currently I'd give it a shot before
purchasing a dedicated load balancer.  There are some nice
ones out there, but the major drawback is redundancy.
If your load balancer goes out, all of your nodes are unavailable,
So, you'd need at least 2 hardware load balancers operating in failover
mode.
If you care nothing about availability and only care about the
performance
then you've got alot of options.

Of course to load balance your app you need to centralize your data
onto a dedicated data server.  You'll have to put some thought into your

session issue, and any other data read/written by the app.

good luck,
will