Fatal error 'Unable to read from thread kernel pipe' when using mail() function

Hi All,

I've just upgraded the PHP port installation on my server to v4.4.1 and the mail function has stopped working. I created a script that simply calls the mail function to send a test email ad this is what I get when I run it...

stut@brian:~$ php test.php
Fatal error 'Unable to read from thread kernel pipe' at line 1100 in file /usr/src/lib/libc_r/uthread/uthread_kern.c (errno = 0)
Abort trap (core dumped)

The email gets sent successfully on the CLI despite crashing. When the mail function is called from a web page it never gets sent and the script never finishes.

I've googled for this error and all references I found that related to PHP basically say that it's due to Apache and PHP being compiled in different threading modes. This cannot be the case in this instance since Apache is using the preform MPM and even if it wasn't it's happening on the CLI where Apache is not involved.

Any clues people might have as to the cause of this problem would be gratefully received.

FYI: OS is FreeBSD v5.2 and Apache if v2.0.55

Cheers.

-Stut