Re: PHP/MySQL noob rides again.. into trouble

On 16 Dec 2005, at 12:30, Paul Jinks wrote:

I have a site where users can search study projects. I'd like to be able to clicks on a project title which passes a variable to this page, which then displays all the data on that project in a table. Cool - and to a noob like me, actually pretty exciting. Except it doesn't work.

I get a "couldn't set value of result" message - see end of code. The page displayed all the projects fine when I messed up passing them from the previous page, so the problem is presumably in the first SQL query. Any suggestions?

<?
	$connect = mysql_connect("", "", "")
		or die("could not connect");
	$db = mysql_select_db("")
		or die("could not select db");
		if (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['projTitle']))
	{
		$SQLQuery = "SELECT * FROM project WHERE
			projTitle = ".$HTTP_GET_VARS['projTitle']
			or die("SQLQuery 1 failed");
	}
	else
	{
		$SQLQuery = "SELECT*FROM project ORDER BY projTitle"
			or die("SQLQuery 2 failed");
	}
	$result = mysql_query($SQLQuery,$connect)
			or die("couldn't set value of result");

?>

Well you've got 5 die statements in there - which one does it die on? Also check that your web host allows the long array names ($HTTP_GET_VARS), because lots do not. I would suggest replacing $HTTP_GET_VARS with $_GET (in all instances), because the long format will eventually vanish and your script will cease to work.

There are various issues re: SQL injection and lack of filtering going on here, but perhaps not best to dwell on those -just yet-, as long as you are aware that your script is lacking in all forms of security? Then you can address that once you've got it working.

I assume you removed the MySQL details to post to the mailing list, otherwise that won't help too much ;)

Cheers,

Rich
--
http://www.corephp.co.uk