Binary Config file: Protect script(s): Powered-by logo: How to?

Hey all,

A couple years ago, before I could write my own PHP, I used a semi-commercial gallery script... Long story short, this gallery script used a config.dat file with these contents:

<?php exit(); ?>
11001100
01101100
00000100
10001100
00001100
... (Picture 1,667 lines of this)
11101100
00000100
00101100
11101100
00000100

This config file controlled how a "Powered by Company Name" was displayed on the bottom of the template page.

So, if you buy the gallery script, which I did (I think I spent like 20$), the "Powered by Company Name" disappears.

Since then, I have always wondered how I could do the same. I am definitely not a PHP guru, but I can hold my own... There have been a few scripts I have written for clients where I would have loved to implement this same technique...

Recently, I re-downloaded the script and tried to break-it-down to see how it works... I was able to narrow things down to a few methods, a template page, and a tiny bit more of PHP script... But, it is really hard to understand how this is done because the config.dat file is unreadable!

Any thoughts on how I could go about doing this?

How are they making their config files (I am assuming that they probably wrote a proprietary script to convert PHP code to binary 1's and 0's)?

Any thoughts and/or suggestions?

If anyone is curious, I can post a bit of the code. Here is a link to the gallery script:

http://www.stadtaus.com/en/php_scripts/gallery_script/

Does anyone else do something similar? I would love to see some code, and/or read more about similar techniques....

Thanks all,
Cheers,
Micky
--