Re: Questions from a ColdFusion Developer

On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 20:50, Christopher Jordan wrote:

> When you said:
>
>     "...the strength and simplicity of PHP stem from the decision to make/keep
>     PHP a 'share nothing'  architecture."
>
> What did you mean, by that? I've not heard of this "share nothing"
> idea. What is the idea of "share nothing" and why is it a strength?
> I'd like to understand so if I'm doing something ass-backwards
> (read: inefficiently), that I can change what I'm doing.

"Share nothing" refers to the PHP philosophy of not tying any data
sharing system to the engine itself. In this way developers are free to
create applications in such a way that if they need more power, they can
just add more computers. This becomes a much more difficult issue when a
program holds private data in memory that requires a specific way to
access it. For instance if you stored some kind of application variable
in memory (a la ColdFusion, Java, ASP) then this value would not be
normally transparent to other computers without some kind of
synchronization system to transfer it around. Then you run into race
condition and deadlock issues. Using the share nothing philosophy such
data doesn't generally exist, and if it does, then it is stored in a
database. Databases are a better system for such data since they were
designed for heterogeneous external access and quite handily solve the
race condition and deadlock issues. That said, you can also use database
replication so that multiple databases servers have an image of the same
database, thus allowing even the database server to scale horizontally.
So how does this relate to your mom and pop requirements... it doesn't
really *lol*, but if you ever create something that becomes the next
Google, it might just scale to a server farm of thousands of computers.

Cheers,
Rob.