XML Parsing german special chars

I did some easy xml parsing on the last.fm[1] recent tracklist.
I do read in all the tracks and output them encoded with htmlentities().

A lot of german special chars like the Ä (Ä) are transfered to strange followings of an A with any sort of available accent. But it isn't replaced by Ä

The xml file does not contain any character encoding information, so how could I tell htmlentities(), there might be some character in the string, which might be a german special char.

I never encountered any problems when writing htmlentities('Ähre'); or $var = 'Ähre';
htmlentities($var);
but only if I take the strings out of the xml file.

If I output the whole xml file all characters are shown as they are supposed to, only if i do the encoding by htmlentities() I get those weird accented letters.

any suggestions how to fix this?

thanks,
Norbert

PS: code and link to the output page can be given if needed.

[1] www.last.fm