Accessing photos outside the web folder

I'm writing a content management application which saves file paths in a database and allows users to search the database for those files. Problem I'm having is that although the PHP script that handles the database queries works fine, when the search results get to the browser, all the paths are off limits.

I can't just move the photos inside the web folder as we're talking tens of thousands of images that are already organized into a folder structure that must be maintained as is.

Is there a way to allow the web page to see these photos?

The images are stored on a Windows box and all the web server stuff is on a G5 Macintosh running OS 10.4 3 (in case that has any bearing on the matter).

Thanks for any help

Ken