href difference between OS's.

I have written a PHP script that creates dynamic links to CAD files on a local machine. The anchors/links work on two W2K pro machines, but does nothing on a XP pro machine where I really need the script to reside. I am stumped if it is an Apache setting, IE setting, or what. I'm getting desperate to get this going and get on with life (real work).

On the w2k machines while the pointer is over the link, the browser status bar shows "file:///actual_path_to_file". On the XP machine the status bar shows "Shortcut to file:///absolute_path_to_file(local)".

I have never got the links to work with Firefox (preferred browser) on the w2k machines, but I'm sure it security issues. Probably the thing with the XP machine.

--

Regards,
 Marlin Unruh