PEAR Validate email question

Hello,

I'm using the PEAR Validate::email method to validate email addresses on our
contact forms since the spam bots have gotten so bad.  I am using the
"check_domain" flag which calls the php function "checkdnsrr."  This form
processor is used on several sites now and all is going well except one
problem.  It seems this "checkdnsrr" function randomly returns false on
valid email addresses.  I built a little debug feature into the processor to
let me know when the script fails and any error messages it has generated
along the way to try and stay ahead of the spammers.

I've been getting randomly occurring failure notices.  Most of the time it
works, sometimes it doesn't.  Every failure is a valid DNS and email
address.  If I try running the email address against Validate::email later
it works.  I was hoping somebody can shine some light on why checkdnsrr
would work sometimes and why it wouldn't work others.  Any help or advice
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!