To: "'Chirantan Ghosh'" <cghosh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, December 05, 2005 10:32 AM
Subject: RE:  Browser Control Help

Hi

No probs... I hate cross-browser problems myself and any help I get with
them I appreciate :)

Securing your public facing graphics and/or code is essentially too
difficult to achieve... You can't (I'm pretty sure of this) remove (or
disable) the menus in the browser (security implications there)

There are usually ways around these client-side types of protection too...
consider that if a person really does want to see your code/steal your pics
they will look for ways around the system... Usually these exist with
injection of JS into the URL (this is evident in at least 1 commercial
system... can't remember what it is though :) )

Also, if a user can get your image path (on hover in Opera, for instance)
the image URL can be directly input and stolen from there

I decided a while ago to bite the bullet and accept that there are things I can't protect... I can't remember much of the research I did on the subject
but it was pretty damning

Last point... There are people out there that will break security on your
site purely because it's there

That's my 2 penn'orth :)

Dan