PHP and Flash Remoting

Hi!

I am using amfchat from tufat.com, and wanted to integrate it with my
site's session data. amfchat uses flash remoting to communicate to the
server.

It initally sends

sessionid=time() to gateway.php

gateway.php starts a session using:

    function session($name=false){
        if($name){
            $prev_name = session_name();
            if($prev_name != $name){
                session_name($name);
            }
        }
        @session_start();
    }

And accesses the session variables in another function thats called
using flash remoting.
as $_SESSION['username'];

I wanted to replace all this and I have made gateway.php start a
session as follows:
$prev_name = session_name();
session_start();

But I am not able to access my session variables in the functions
using $_SESSION['login']

This is the function I have modified:

        $session_name = session_name();
        session_start();
        $username=$_SESSION['login'];
        $password=$_SESSION['passwd'];

$result['description'] = "User= $username, Password: $password,
Session: $session_name"

When flash prints the 'result' arrary, the output for description is as follows

User= , Password: , Session: PHPSESSID

Can any one tell me if I am making a mistake some where or give me a solution?

Regards,
Yaswanth

--
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice there is." -- Fortune Cookie