RE: Upgrading on RH ES3

Quoting Jeff McKeon <jmckeon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

-----Original Message-----
From: Kristen G. Thorson [mailto:kthorson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, December 02, 2005 14:50
To: Jeff McKeon
Cc: php
Subject: Re:  Upgrading on RH ES3

Jeff McKeon wrote:

>I've got a server with RedHat ES3 running.  It has PHP 4.3.2
installed
>but for an application I want to install I need a min of
4.3.9.  This
>server also runs apache2.0.
>
>I can't find RPMs for RH ES3 so I downloaded the source for PHP4.4.1
>figuring I would just compile myself.  Problem is, the INSTALL file
>gives instructions based on the idea that you don't already have
>Apache2 or an earlier ver of PHP Installed already.  Since
Apache2 was
>installed via RPM originally the INSTALL instruction for PHP with
>Apache2 prob won't work.
>
>./configure --with-apxs2=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs --with-mysql
>
>It's the:
>
>--with-apxs2=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs
>
>Switch that has got me scratching my head.
/usr/local/apache2/ doesn't
>exist and I can't find apxs anywhere on the sys.
>
>Can I just configure with ./configure --with-mysql??
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jeff

I believe you need the httpd-devel rpm to get apxs2.

kgt

Interesting.  Would the current ver of php run if I didn't have
httpd-devel installed?  What exactly does the switch
--with-apxs2=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs do?

If I'm not mistaken (and I very easily could be), apxs is used to create the php module for apache. Red Hat/Fedora provide a mod_php rpm, and your older version may have had that rpm installed; thus, apxs (and the httpd-devel rpm) was not needed on your system to build the module.

Rick
--
Rick Emery

 you will always long to return"