Re: Is echo tag reasonably portable?

Curt Zirzow wrote:
On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 05:39:36PM +0000, Richard Davey wrote:

Hi Jim,

I don't know, but those who do should not use short tags. And those
who hope to should not get into the habit of using short tags.

And for the vast majority remaining, who write closed-apps for
clients??

It will be when you have to sort through 1,000,000 lines of code in
400 files to change '<?' to '<?PHP'. Better to save the grief and do
it right to start with, no?

There is no "right" or "wrong" for this, it's down to personal
developer preference. Nothing more, nothing less. It's only "right" if
you're building an app for distribution to unknown end-users. I don't
think that covers the majority of work we all do here somehow.

There is the issue if you are dealing with xml, consider php script is:

  <?xml version="1.0" encoding....?>
  <? echo $something_xml_ish ?>
which is exactly why <?php was born.

indeed, but it seems to me that all writings on writing solid ('enterprise level'?)
php code recommend with a capital R not to write your code embedded inline with you
xml/xhtml/html/whatever because it's often brittle and very hard to maintain (read
illegible). i.e. I think your mad if you have created 1000000 lines of XML liberally
interspersed with php code.

just a thought :-)

Curt.