Re: Sending arrays from page to page

On Nov 15, 2005, at 12:07 PM, Ben Miller wrote:

I am trying to learn how to work with arrays, and have the basic concept down for working within a single page, but I am having trouble sending an array from one page to another. For example, I can send a variable from page to page using either the URL, such as www.domain.com/?foo=bar, or using a form, but can I send an array from one page to another using a form so
that all the values in the array will be sent?  Such as:

The easy way to do this is with sessions; be it strings, numbers, arrays, whatever.

<?php

session_start();

$_SESSION['myarray']['one']	= 1;
$_SESSION['myarray']['two']	= 2;
$_SESSION['myarray']['three']	= 3;
$_SESSION['myarray']['four']	= 4;
$_SESSION['myarray']['five']	= 5;

// Now you have array $_SESSION['myarray'] with your values in it

?>

And then any page with session_start() should load all the values stored in $_SESSION on subsequent pages. Much easier than messing around with forms and submitting from page to page. Since $_SESSION itself is an array, you can load it up with anything you want - strings, numbers, other arrays, other nested arrays, etc.

<?php

$_SESSION['blah'] = 'foo';
$_SESSION['count'] = 5;

$_SESSION['myarray']['five']++;  // five is now 6

?>

 -dan

--
To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that
we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only