Re: Is echo tag reasonably portable?

Robin Vickery wrote:
On 11/15/05, Roman Ivanov <gamblergluck@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Can '<?=' be used for templates, or is it "a bad thing"?

The manual's reasonably explicit on the subject:

"Note:  Using short tags should be avoided when developing
applications or libraries that are meant for redistribution, or
deployment on PHP servers which are not under your control, because
short tags may not be supported on the target server. For portable,
redistributable code, be sure not to use short tags."

I've seen this note. But I haven't seen a single server where short tags were disabled.