Re: Re: Zend + Eclipse + Standized Framework

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005, GamblerZG wrote:
Convention over configuration.  (Yaml, not XML.  ActiveRecord not
Propel/Phing.)

Hard to do in pure PHP. But I tried:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/naturalgine/NECMS_0_3/tools/ori.php?rev=1.1.1.1&view=markup

Maybe Zend will get it right where all the previous attempts I've seen/used are less than great. I read some blog posts on the topic last night and it scared me a bit. I read stuff like 'now we have to write the glue that holds it all together.' I'm withholding final judgement until I see it, but to me sounds like it's gonna be messy to work with. I gotta think if anyone can make a top notch PHP framework it should be Zend. We'll see.

A persist-able domain model where logic and data are presented in one
wrapping.  (I don't want to re-assign my data in the view for use in the
template after it's already ready already in the controller, pointless.)

Don't know what you're talking about. Example?

Specifically I'm referring to Mojavi, or Agavi or whatever its name is this week. You pull data into the controller, then you have to reassign it in the view before you can use it in the template. I ended up sticking everything in a single array just to save keystrokes when passing stuff around, but then that turned out to be messy when dealing with lots of differently structured arrays on a single page.

A database-agnostic database abstraction layer capable of using database
meta data effectively.  (Why am I still writing SQL?)

LOL. What you really want is a built-in high-performance object-oriented database with decent OO interface. So far I hacked this thing, using MySQL:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/naturalgine/NECMS_0_3/tools/nodes.php?rev=1.2&view=markup

If it's show and tell time then here's what I've been using the past few months:

http://api.rubyonrails.com/classes/ActiveRecord/Base.html

So far I've used it with Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL and SQLite. Hardly every have to write any custom SQL. Intelligent table relations are built-in using model relationship statements.

When I port the whole thing to PHP 5, I will try to make it to use PDO.

Ajax, built-in.  (Cause all the cool kids are using it.)

Will be done some day. Right now, you can use AJAX all you want, but you have to code it yourself.

Not really, it's builtin to Rubyonrails.  Very simple to use:
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2005/06/09/rails_ajax.html

--
Greg Donald
Zend Certified Engineer