Re: java .vs php

On Wed, November 9, 2005 9:40 am, bruce wrote:
> php appears to be fine/good for prototyping. my question; does anybody
> have
> testing experience regarding scalability of php .vs java. ie, can php
> scale
> to handle 1000s of simultaneous connections/users, as well as deal
> with the
> various security issues...

PHP and Java scale up in a rather different manner.

PHP itself is generally based on a "shared nothing" architecture.

Need more web bandwidth ; buy more cheap hardware.

At the backend of the web, you probably have some kind of other
services, usually a database, and frequently some other processes that
must share data of some sort.

Java tends to throw that into its Framework, and that Framework
provides a nexus through which resource allocation/utilization is
managed.

In PHP, you are expected to choose your own preferred resource
management plan.

Both can scale as large as you can afford to buy hardware, and as much
as your skill allows you to maximize your hardware ROI.

> articles dealing with actual live test data would be helpful. i'd also
> be
> interested in hearing from your experience if you've actually had to
> look
> into this issue.
>
> haven't really seen a lot of hard data on this via google.. lots of
> mine is
> better than yours.. but i'm trying to really get a feel as to whether
> php
> can really drive serious commercial sites...

Obviously it can because it does.

You've already been given an example, and refuse to believe it.  There
would seem to be little point to giving more examples.

You can choose PHP or Java or both and provide whatever services you want

#30#

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm