Use of auto_prepend_file inside an Apache directory container

Good afternoon, all -

I've had problems with auto_prepend_file off and on for as long as I can
remember.  It's hit or miss, and browsing the archives, it looks like
I'm not alone.  I've even written to the list on several occasions
looking for a solution, to no avail.

I think that auto_{prepend,append}_file are incredibly useful functions,
but they're crap if they don't work.

Here's the basic setup.  From within Apache's config file, here's my
whole VirtualHost container:

<VirtualHost 192.168.1.51>
        DocumentRoot /var/www/virtual
        ServerName 192.168.1.51
        ErrorLog logs/192.168.1.51-error_log
        CustomLog logs/192.168.1.51-access_log combined

                                                 	#begin dan's protected
directory stuff
        <Directory /demo/protected>
                php_value auto_prepend_file /absolute/path/to/file.php
        </Directory>

                                           </VirtualHost>

So, as you can see, nothing completely out of the 'norm.  The examples
given in the manual are not all that clear, so by using absolute path
names, I'm just guessing.  I have used relative paths as well - same thing.

The auto_prepend_file directive set from within php.ini, is commented
out, as to not overwrite my specification.  I've tried leaving that
directive blank, and setting it to something completely different.  Same
results.

If you guys wouldn't mind taking a few more minutes to mow over all of
this, I would *greatly* appreciate it.

Thanks
-dant