Re: Userlogin system seems to override the if statement....

sorry my mail reader didn't indent. comments in ----------

I'm new to this. So I used a tutorial to write this. But it shows "Login ok.
Welcome" at once when the page loads. Here is the tutorial:
http://www.ss32.x10hosting.com/ss32/files/PHP-logins.pdf
<?php
include ("DBconnection");
session_start();
$err = 0;
echo $err; //just to check. Shows 0
$sql_login = sprintf("SELECT 'name', 'pass' FROM DB

-----------------------------
This is going to return
name pass
If you take the quotation marks away, you will select the actual field
values
-----------------------------

WHERE 'name'='%s' AND 'pass'='%s'", @$_GET['name'],@md5($_GET['pass']));

-----------------------------

Never send user input directly into the database. Read up on sql injection
to find out why
-----------------------------

$login = mysql_query($sql_login) or die(mysql_error());
if (mysql_num_rows($login) == 0) {
$GLOBALS['MM_username'] == @$_GET['name'];
echo $err; //just to check. Shows 0
session_register("MM_username");
echo $err; //just to check. Shows 0
$err = 1;

}

echo $err; //just to check. Shows 1

<!-- Form -->
<?php
if ($err != 1) {
if ($err == 2) { ?>
<?php } ?>
}else{
?>
Login ok. Welcome <?php
echo "<meta http-equiv=Refresh content=3;url=1stpage.php>";

you will end up here if $err==1
Since you set $err=1; just before the if block begins, this is as expected.
You might find the section on if statements in the PHP manual has some
useful examples which might make things clearer:

http://uk2.php.net/if

The tutorial you are following is a bit ropey to be honest if this is the
dtandard of the code in it.