Re: Can I call .html file as a form action instead of .php?

On Mon, October 3, 2005 9:23 pm, Jasper Bryant-Greene wrote:
> 1/ Setting your webserver to consider all .html files to be PHP
> scripts
> is good and bad. It is sometimes considered good because it hides the
> up-to-date...), but it's sometimes bad because it causes PHP to
> process
> all HTML files, even if they don't have any PHP in them, which slows
> things down.

The last reported benchmark I saw was about 5% to 10% slow-down for
all HTML to go through PHP.

If 5% to 10% is a Big Deal to you, don't do it.

In addition to the Good column, let me add this:

Once I made all my .html files go through PHP, I found myself adding a
lot of cool little snippets to my files that I wouldn't have bothered
with if I had to re-name the file, fix all the links, worry about
search engines "losing" my page, etc.

I would encourage anybody but the most hard-core million-hits-per-day
super-stressed folks to just go ahead and use PHP on .htm and .html

If 5% to 10% is putting you over the edge on performance, you're
already in trouble anyway.

NOTE:
5% to 10% was a lonnnnnnng time ago.  I'd love to see more current
benchmarks or, better, real-live stats from a moderately busy/complex
server.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm