str_replace

Hi,

I'm on shared hosting. Because of security concerns on their part [1], every time the text "curl u" is inputted, a 403 forbidden is given and the form is not submitted. This is of course a problem as I'm doing work for a children's literacy program, and plenty of people try to input "curl up with a book".

I'm trying to use 'str_replace' to solve this issue, but I can't seem to get around the 403 error.

It appears as if the hosting service doesn't give me a chance to replace "curl u" with something else prior to them blocking the attempted submit.

I can tell my str_replace is working as if I change the searched text to something other than "curl u" it does in fact replace it and submit it correctly.

Anyone have any ideas for a workaround? My next thought is to use javascript, but I think the site serves quite a few people who might not have javascript on.

Thanks for listening. Below is the PHP [2].

best,

Charles

[2]
// Grabbing the data from the form.

if ($task == "updateInfo")
    {
$activityChallenges = cs_remove_curl_up(sanitize_paranoid_string ($_POST["activityChallenges"]));
    }

// change "curl u" to "EDIT kurl u"

function cs_remove_curl_up($string, $min='', $max='')
{
  $string = str_replace("curl u", "EDIT kurl u", $string);
  $len = strlen($string);
if((($min != '') && ($len < $min)) || (($max != '') && ($len > $max)))
    return FALSE;
  return $string;
}

[1]
My host told me this:

"Mod_security is restricting this and blocks all url's with C-url. This is done because of some php worms that are spread using c-url. I would recommend trying to work around this. It will be a major security issue for us to allow this."