To: <php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, October 03, 2005 11:27 PM
Subject: Re:  chown function

Keith Spiller wrote:
I'm using:

chown("$endpath", "admin");

to try to change the owner of directories after using mkdir()
to create them.  It continues to fail on my remote Fedora server.

With what error message? Have you tried logging in with SSH or similar and trying the same command?

More than likely the user apache is running as doesn't have permissions to chown -- in fact I believe that in order to chown files one must be root (at least that's the way it seems to work on my system).

You could use chmod instead to allow the "admin" user access to your files.

--
Jasper Bryant-Greene
Freelance web developer