Re: serializing result sets or what?

Thomas wrote:
Q: What would be the best way to save db calls for large result sets?
I thought about serializing the data and then caching it (with Cache_Lite -
maybe there will be a future inclusion of such a caching scheme into the php
core or pecl?). I was not sure about performance though (no time for
benchmarking this).

The issue is that as this system grows we get 2 - 3 db calls on the server
(which is too much in my opinion), but will serializing be cheaper or simply
the lesser of two evils?

A very similar question was asked recently on this list. You might like to consider caching whatever you create from those result sets rather than the result sets themselves, but APC [1] is worth looking at as I believe it can cache (some?) PHP vars without serialisation, using apc_store() and apc_fetch().

The only way to know whether such a scheme would help in your specific situation is to benchmark. Go on, it won't take long!

[1] http://php.net/apc
--
Jasper Bryant-Greene
Freelance web developer