Re: OT - database and indexes... but anyone please?

Rory Browne wrote:
<snip>
>>If the index in question happens to be a unique index or a primary key
>>(really just a special case of index) - you could be breaking the logic
>>of the table (allowing duplicates where there should be none).
>

> Couldn't that only happen if you dropped a UNIQUE or PRIMARY KEY. Just
> to clarify, I only meant deleting, or dropping the index. Not the
> column that is indexed.

<snippety>

AFAIK, the unique /PK "index" is what avoids duplicates. So, if you
dropped the index, while your existing data would still be
duplicate-free, you would have no guarantees with regard to any data
that you might write to the table after you had dropped the index.

There was nothing wrong with your original answer(s) - I was just adding
a few wrinkles to it as the OP did not provide much info in terms of the
index that he was wishing to drop.

Regards

Rory