Re: Is PHP the language for me???

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jasper Bryant-Greene" <jasper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, September 25, 2005 1:38 AM
Subject: Re:  Is PHP the language for me???

Gustav Wiberg wrote:
I have read some posts about this issue, but one point that is essential that I've not read about is the future! I mean, what are your plans in the future? Or what plans is it for the website. Just because it's only simple links now, it might be right to consider if for example object-oriented programming would be an issue in the future. PHP5 has that implementation, but not PHP4 so this might depend on the webserver/webhost...

PHP4 has OO as well. It's just an inferior and slower implementation. OO does not suit every case and you need to decide whether the additional time and work spent writing the code in OO is going to pay off in the future. If it isn't likely to, then I would suggest procedural might be a better choice.

Ok, I didn't know that PHP4 had OO-support and yes, I agree that it is 95% always better to use OO....

This was just a spontanious thought! And yes, I just love PHP if I compare with ASP which maybe is the most relevant!? comparision.. (The two largest languages for dynamic web out there? Don't know if maybe Perl is larger though).

ASP isn't actually a language, it's just a framework for dynamic ("active") server pages, that provides a bunch of common objects and stuf. In classic ASP you can write VBScript or JScript, and in ASP.NET you can write VB.NET, JScript or C#. Both classic and .NET allow you to add additional languages of your choice with a bit of work.
Of course! Wrong of me to say that ASP is a language... I meant VBScript... which I have been working with.

I still prefer PHP though; just thought I'd point out the difference...
Who doesnt? :-)

/G
http://www.varupiraten.se/