Re: Is PHP the language for me???

On 9/23/05, Kirk.Johnson@xxxxxxxxxxx <Kirk.Johnson@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "Emily McCall" <emily.mccall@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 09/23/2005 03:07:39
> PM:
>
> > I am trying to figure out whether php will help me to set up a
> > website which is essentially just links to donwloadable material.
>
> Emily, you certainly came to the right place to get an endorsement of PHP
> ;)

Kirk:
While I agree with you to a certain extent, I think you should have a
little more faith in the professionalism(and honesty) of many of the
subscribers to this list. I've personally(I think), as have many
others, pointed out situations on this list, where another language
would be a better tool for the job than PHP.

This however is not one of those situations. This type of job is what
PHP was made for, and what PHP is extremely suitable for. This is the
type of job, for which I have no problem whatsoever endorsing PHP.

Emily:
I hope this goes some way towards answering your question. I cannot
answer it conclusively because this may be a one off project, and the
rest of your coding may be better suited to a different language. Look
into Perl and Python. I think you should still choose PHP, but would
hope that you do so on its merits, and not because it was the first
one you considered.