RE: basic user/input form questions... more validation!

here's psuedo of what i envision

now, in my psuedo code, i don't use the stripslashes/quotes/etc... so, i'm
still trying to understand why these functions are needed/required?

thoughts/comments/etc....

thanks

-bruce

--------------------------------------
index.php

if isset($REQUEST['submit'])
{
  if (isset($_REQUEST['foo'])
  {
     get the 'foo' var
     $foo = $_REQUEST['foo']

     validate the foo var...
     $valid_chars = preg_match('valid char vars', $foo)
     $len = str_len($foo) >max_str_len
     if(valid_chars && len)
     {
        we have a valid 'foo' var!!!
        go ahead and add to the db...
     }
     else
     {
        'foo' is invalid, set err msg and return to login
     }
  }
  else
  {
    gen err and redirect to login page
  }

}
else
{
<form php_self post>

<input name=foo>
<submit>
</form>
}

function add_to_db($var)
{
   assume that 'var' is valid, but it hasn't been quoted..

   $test_sql = "insert into TestTBL name values (%s)";
   $test_sql = sprintf($test_sql, $var);
   mysql_query($test_sql);
}