Curl problems

Here is my problem. I need to post an XML file to someone else's server. I'm trying to do this
with the curl package.

Once I post the XML file to the other server one of two things will happen. The server will either
take the info in the XML file and forward the user along to some other page or the page will
return some errors, if for example there is something wrong with the XML i send.

What I would like to do is post the data to the other server and if everything is OK just allow
the user to be forwarded along, otherwise I?d like to catch whatever errors the server spits back.

Setting this up on two of my development boxes seems to work fine. However when I try to send this
to the other server (which i have no control over) it doesn?t work. It's seems like it is having
trouble redirecting my request. When I send the request I get a ?Server Error in '/' Application?
which looks to be like a generic ASP error( I guess). If I comment out the FOLLOWLOCATION
curl_setopt line all I get in response, other than headers, is "Object moved" message with a link,
the link however seems like a relative link because if i click on it tries to find the linked page
on my server. I'm wondering if something in my request is breaking whatever forwarding goes on
internally.

Stiped to the basics this is my script:
<?Php
$url = "https://somebody.else.com/this/some_script.aspx";;

$postfields = array();
$postfields['some_xml'] = urlencode($some_xml_ive_generated);

$ch = curl_init();

curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_URL, $url);
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_FOLLOWLOCATION, 1);
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, 1);
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_POST, 1);
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_POSTFIELDS, $postfields);
$output = curl_exec($ch);
curl_close($ch);

print $output;
?>

A couple of things:
-I'm pretty new to curl so i could easily be overlooking something.
-The https:// doesn't seem to be the problem
-Generating a form that submits itself with javascript when loaded seems to work fine.
-The url in my location bar never seems to change even when i post between my two development
boxes and my simple response test script works.
-I have no idea what happens nor any control over the other box. I've e-mailed my contact there
with no response.
-The other box is running IIS6 with ASP (or at least that is what headers from it claim).
-The https://somebody.else.com/this/some_script.aspx link (the actual one not the  one used here
is definitely correct).
-Am i screwing up the headers or something?
-Is what I?m doing even possible?

Any suggestions for things to try? Or simple things I?ve overlooked? I?ve googled around and read
a few basic curl tutorials but they haven?t helped me sort this out.

-k.