Local session.gc_maxlifetime not always being respected

Hi,

I have a rather peculiar problem with session.gc_maxlifetime local settings not being respected under certain circumstances. In order to ensure that sessions created for our application would have a max lifetime longer than the default 24 minutes, we cranked session.gc_maxlifetime in an .htaccess file to 4 hours (local value). However, our sessions where still being clean up after 24 minutes. I validated through phpinfo() that it was actually picking up the local setting, which it was. I also noticed in my testing that if I reduced the session.gc_maxlifetime local value to less than the master value, my sessions would be cleaned up in accordance to the local value.

When we changed the master value to 4 hours, we are no longer having our sessions cleaned up within 24 minutes. So, it appears that the local value of session.gc_maxlifetime is only being respected if it is less than that of the master value. Has anyone else come across this problem as well? FYI, we are running PHP 4.4 on debian sarge.

Thanks,

Michael