RE: Re: Suggestions for class design

[snippage]

> I do not understand why this could bother you or anybody else. If you
> have a better solution, nothing stops you to make your recommendations.

Hi Manuel,

I did make my recommendation. To you. It went something like (and I'm
paraphrasing), "Your proposed solution doesn't solve the original poster's
conceptual problem with abstracting classes that deal with collections of
objects in conjunction with classes that abstract single objects."

In other words, and I realize I'm stretching out on a limb with this
metaphor, I saw in your post an attempt to treat the symptoms without
offering a cure for the disease.

Actually, that really is a terrible metaphor. I'm certain I'll think of a
better one about 3 seconds after I hit 'send'. Isn't that always the way?

And your perception of bias may or may not be accurate. I don't recall
delivering wrath-of-god denunciation of your suggestion to use a project you
developed, just acknowledged a desire to promote a project you're probably
(and perhaps justifiably) proud of. You say that wasn't a component of your
recommendation. I'm willing to accept that, not that I expect you to be
losing any sleep over whether or not I believe you.

This is a reality of expressing opinions on a public list: others are free
to disagree with you. See Michael Sims' response to the same post you're
addressing here. He makes some great points and I for one am glad he had an
opportunity to make them in response and counterpoint to a post I made. His
thoughts enrich the list, as do yours, and as, I hope, do mine.

> > This is not to trivialize your Metastorage project (or, to be more
> accurate,
> > I know nothing about it, so it's not my place to trivialize it or
> > otherwise), but to point out that 'out-of-the-box' solutions to
> fundamental
> > coding development problems probably ultimately makes for a poorer
> > programmer. I could well be wrong, but it seems this is a case of "give
> > man a fish" as opposed to "teach a man to fish".
>
> I think you should have learned about Metastorage first before
> commenting. It is not really a out-of-the-box solution. It is a code
> generator tool that employs well known design patterns to generate code
> to customized to the developer needs.

At some point I just may do that. It's an interesting concept, if nothing
else. My comments remain relevant, however, regardless of my knowledge of
your project. At least, and this is important, that's my opinion.

> > Also, and separate from above, I don't understand the relevance of your
> > comment, "You are trying to retrieve objects into memory before they
> exist".
> > Unless I'm horribly mistaken [1], the original poster has developed a
> class
> > that abstracts a single customer, and is asking the list for suggestions
> in
> > how to best approach a need to be able to abstract collections of
> customers.
> > This is a normal application development issue, and for the life of me I
> > can't grasp how your comment relates.
>
> I tried to explain in the part of the message that you did not quote,
> why using a factory class as entry point, which is my suggestion, it
> makes more sense.

Thank you for the extra explanation. I still don't understand the comment's
relevancy to the actual question being asked by the original poster, but I
will explain, in case it's of interest, why that comment caused me some
confusion:

- The original poster outlined that he had created a class that represented
a customer.

- He told the list he was having difficulties with the concept of
abstracting a collection of customers

- He received some helpful suggestions from the list about how to approach
that task

- None of which would have meant he was 'trying to retrieve objects into
memory before they exist.' I don't know about anyone else, but what that
comment implied to me was that the original poster was attempting to
instantiate a class as an object before including the file that contained
the class definition.

I may well have misunderstood what you meant by your comment, but it still
stands out as not being relevant to the problem the original poster was
describing.

Much warmth,

Murray
---