Re: Encoding or obfuscating tool

On 9/18/05, Rory Browne <rory.browne@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Personally I would be more interested in hearing how you can justify
> obfuscating code before delivering it to a client.

  For the same reasons that most commercial software houses that
distribute compiled software in binary form don't include the source
code, I would imagine.
  Open source is a wonderful thing, but not every software developer
chooses to license their work that way.  For those that don't, finding
a way to obfuscate code that's written in an interpreted language (and
therefore, traditionally appears in source form even when deployed) is
a compelling business objective.
  I'm kinda playing the devil's advocate here, since every line of
code I've ever released has been either GPL- or LGPL-licensed...but
that's what my response would be if I were to release something to
which I didn't wish to give the licensees source access.