RE: Quick Poll: PHP 4 / 5

Chris,

You probably are aware that this comes from a C/C++ standard the '&' before
the variable means that you are passing by reference and not by value. If
you are passing by reference, you are passing the address of a variable
instead of the value of that variable.

By passing the value of 3 the script crashes because it thinks that you are
passing a pointer to address 3 in memory. This means the computer thinks
that the value being passed to the function is located in memory address '3'
which is invalid because that memory address is reserved for the OS (at
least on most machines the lowest memory addresses are reserved for the OS.)
In order to make your code work you would have to pass a variable so that
the computer can get the address of that variable and use/compute the data
located there.

Sounds like the original problem is some kind of type mismatch of this sort.

Carl