Re: Quick Poll: PHP 4 / 5

Can't expect everything to be done right on the first try. But it sure was a
big annoyance. Great to hear that work is being done to improve on this.
I personally would rather it just be silently ignored as to me an error line
at the top is the same as it not working at all.
Would love to find a tool that could go over code and output errors like this
tho. Provide a better solution or whatever along with all the dumb mistakes
that PHP is ignoring for you.

With my experiences I have never used pointers or references in PHP. I'm sure
they are powerful and all. but I just don't want to mess with them or have
worry about them. That's just 1 thing in programming I don't have much
experience with. I give a function a variable and I think I'm passing the
value. if the function takes the reference and modifies that.. oh well.. I
got my result back that's all I care about :)

as for the sort thought. If the programmer does that and can't figure out
what's going on.. they obviously didn't read the manual or just don't know
basic programming ;)

bool sort ( array &array [, int sort_flags] )

Returns bool.. that's not an array ;) If it takes an array but doesn't return
an array.. it must operate on the passed in array if it didn't what a useless
function. Lets sort the array and say yah we sorted it but you can't have
it :)

So yes a bug. But for those that want to be able to grab only what we need. in
my case array_pop's returned element. I don't wanna be hassled with the "are
you sure you wanted to ignore part of what we did?"
It's almost like every program asking "are you sure you wanted to close me?"
everytime I get asked that I always think... "I did just click the X.. so....

Just my 2 cents. I'm sure you guys will come up with something.. either way
PHP is the only language I'll use for a website. Thank you very much for the
detailed reason behind this.