Re: php/mysql object id question..

bruce schrieb:
> but then, i'm starting to realize that there's probably a great deal of
> 'opensource' code that's in use that hasn't been thoroughly vetted.

1. Constructors cannot explicitly return anything because
   they always return the new object.
2. OpenSource project and the code in them:
   2.1 Most of the projects are grown over time. Over a long time.
       Do you know that moment when you look at code you wrote two
       years ago and find it disgusting?
   2.2 Large projects have large programmer communities and
       therefore programmers with varying expertise.
   2.3 It's PHP. It' PHP! The language a gorilla could learn.
3. Yes. One can abuse exceptions to return something in a constructor.
   Just another argument against exceptions ;-) OK, it's unorthodox,
   if you absolutely need to do that, do it and tell nobody *g*.

AllOLLi