RE: Re: Quick Poll: PHP 4 / 5

> Personally I keep using PHP 4 and do not see the motivation
> to upgrade.
> First because, for me, PHP 4 is already a feature complete
> language for
> Web development. Second, because I do not have the time nor
> the patience
> to chase all the backward incompatibilities of PHP 5 that
> will break the
> code of my sites.
>
> Actually I am even scared to try PHP 5 in sites that I have
> with large
> code bases because it is very hard to fully test them in development
> environment.
>
> It is not impossible to test a large site in development
> environment to
> find the possible problems, but it would take a lot of time and still
> many details could escape, so I am not interested to risk and
> put a site
> up malfunctioning due to PHP 5 incompatibilities, especially
> when PHP 4
> worked so well for all these years.

Last time this was debated here I pointed out that the upgrade from 4.x to
5.x will most certainly be less painful than upgrading from 4.x to 6.x (or
7.x, or 8.x) would be.  That, in itself, is motivation to upgrade.  Another
is that as time goes on and more people make the migration, fewer people
will be available to support 4.x.

Last time this was debated, someone posted instructions on how to have BOTH
versions on your server so that you can switch back and forth.

JM