Re: Quick Poll: PHP 4 / 5

Ryan A wrote:
I'm a bit curious, so far I have had no need to upgrade my skills or use the
slightly different format /
functions of PHP 5.x.....infact I have not seen all that many hosts actually
having support for it, so I
thought of this little poll :-)

[x] blah blah

Don't think you'll get anything out of this. A reasonable person would not make a choice based on this poll, since it is biased.

I could do a lot of work in Sun StarOffice, but somehow, others have upgraded to OO.org, can you tell me why? It's not that they don't have more then enough features in StarOffice to do their daily job successfully...

Any PHP developer has to choose for herself will she use PHP 4 or 5...

This has been throughly debated on this list. PHP4 has it's purposes, and any PHP developer would be nuts to abandon it completely. The support for PHP4 related problems will diminish eventually...

PHP 5 is new and better, but it doesn't force you to write better code or OO code. That decision is yours, but there is no point not to switch to PHP5 for new projects.

Rewriting small parts of PHP4 to make it PHP5 compatible (if they're not already) can be a great practice to learn PHP5 quirks and get up to speed with it.

If you can't find a PHP5 hosting service, you obviously haven't even looked. Pick any PHP magazine, and you'll see at least 5 of them. Google a bit, you can't miss them.

And if I were you, I'd never say "I have had no need to upgrade my skills". At your (probably young) age, its dangerous. You're upgrading your skills for yourself, not for your clients! For starters, familiarize yourself with "code refactoring" :)

bye,
N::