Re: Inserting records question

> > Still learning, so sorry if this sounds really simply noobish.  But as I
> > understand things currently this should work.  But doesn't.  I've been
> > looking over tutorials but just don't see whatever the problem is.
> >
> > I created a simple table with the following fields (in order)
> > tc_id (auto nmbr)
> > lname
> > fname
> > machine_name
> > email_addr
> > problem
> > date_time_submitted (timestamp)
> >
> > And I'm trying to run this insert from form input.
> >
> > $username="somename";
> > $password="somepass";
> > $database="somedb";
> > $table="sometable";
> > mysql_connect(localhost,$username,$password);
> > @mysql_select_db("$database") or die("Unable to Connect to DB");
> > $tc_query = "INSERT INTO $tablel VALUES(NULL, $lname, $fname,
$machine_name,
> > $email_addr, $problem, NULL)";
> > $result = mysql_query($tc_query);
> > mysql_close();
> >
> > So what exactly do I seem to be missing here?

As well as what other posters have said (and pay special attention to the
suggestions on using mysql_error and single quotes), you are trying to
insert a NULL into an autonumber field. You don't need to insert anything
here, as the name suggests, it will be populated automatically.

You may find it helps you in the future to specify the fields you are
inserting. For example, if you add columns to the table, you may see
unexpected behaviour.

INSERT INTO mytable (
firstname,
surname,