Re: Distinguishing between multiple browser windows for thesame php session

""Chris Stenton"" <jacs@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> Gustav Wiberg wrote:
>>> <?php echo $_SELF;?>  ?
>>
>> Please don't top-post [1].
>>
>> This will not work. $_SELF isn't even a defined variable, unless you
>> defined it yourself.
>>
>> PHP works on the server, *before* anything is sent on the client, so it
>> has no way to know client-side things like what browser window you are
>> in.
>>
>> You could place the value in a hidden form field with JS and then post
>> back to the server, but something tells me you may be approaching the
>> problem in the wrong way. Without more details I can't suggest
>> alternatives, though.
>
> My problem is that I have a database system where I have a form to define
> search  pattern of the database
> which gets placed in session_vars. The user then can use a whole bunch of
> php pages to work with this search criteria.
>
> My problem is that if the user does "file new window" in the browser s/he
> can then define a new search pattern which
> would change the session_vars behind the back of the other window and
> cause
> havoc on that window.

On the server side, asign any new search, either from the same window or a
new one, a 'search id', if you will, which you can send back to the server
and allows you to identify each search.  This search id, a random number,
might index an array containing each search request and the whole array
stored as in the session data.

> I really don't want to
> put the search criteria as part of the URI between all these pages and use
> GET to pull the data off as the user
> could fiddle with the line and again cause problems.

At least a session id, being a random number long enough instead of a
sequential number, would be cryptic enough that the user would probably not
dare touching it and those who do know would know they better don't even
try.

Satyam