Re: intval() vs. (int)

On Fri, 2005-09-02 at 14:47, Rory Browne wrote:
> (int) seems to be faster, but not by an awful lot. Personally however
> if its a case of typing five characters (int) and saving a little exec
> time, or typing 8 and losing a little, then I'd perfer to go with the
> five an save the exec time.

(int) is a casting operator and so doesn't incur function initialization
overhead. Similarly using === null instead of is_null() has the same
consequences. While the savings might seem paltry, knowing the
difference between operator and functions and when you have both
available for the same task can add up to real savings in a large
application or in a heavily loaded system. I bet Rasmus makes a good
distinction between the two when doing work for Yahoo :) Maybe not
though, I've been wrong before ;)

Cheers,
Rob.